Thursday 26 February 2009

The Pavement Dance


I was doing my usual march to the bus stop after my workshop today when this embarrassing thing happened.
It's not the first time it's ever happened. I have a hunch that it's not going to be the last time it happens either. Also, I'm guessing that you will have experienced this yourself at some point. If you haven't, then you've got this treat to come, you lucky thing you.
I was darting along the pavement, trying to make sure that i didn't miss my bus (like I did yesterday) and this girl was walking towards me. Being closer to the gates on my right than she was, i naturally moved across to the right so she could get past. She cleverly moved to the same side. The donkey.

So there we were, stuck facing each other. You know where this is going...i go to move to the other side, so does she...this spectacle seemed to go on for ages. It was like a bird of paradise's mating dance.
We both smiled, cringing with embarrassment. We both apologised, but still neither of us could decide which side is whose. We both felt uncomfortable at the invasion of our personal space, making us all the more clumsy in our desires to escape. And so, to our horror, on continued the dance .
After finally breaking free, i flew off down the street. (Partly because of the humiliation, partly so I caught the bus.)

Why does stuff like this happen to me all the time? xx

1 comment:

  1. Lol i love the fact that you "flew off down the street" won't be able to look at you in class now without seeing a human sized bird of paradise :P

    ReplyDelete